The Shrine (formerly The Demolition of the Statue and the Arch)

James Pryde

(Edinburgh, 1866 - Kensington, London, 1941)

The Shrine (formerly The Demolition of the Statue and the Arch)


c. 1915-16
153.8 x 139.7 cm

Provenance:
Commissioned from the artist by Annie Pearson (1860-1932), 1st Viscountess Cowdray, and by descent at Dunecht House, Aberdeenshire, to 2019

 

Exhibited:
London, International Society of Sculptors, Painters & Gravers: Spring Exhibition, May-June 1916, no. 28.
Edinburgh, Royal Scottish Academy (RSA), 1925,  no. 262
Venice, The XIX Biennale, 1934, no. 101, as ‘L’altare’.
London, The Fleming Collection, Rascals and Ruins: The Romantic Vision of James Pryde, 12th September - 16th December 2006, no. 48.