James Pryde(Edinburgh, 1866 - Kensington, London, 1941)
The Red Ruin
Painted in 1916
Painted in 1916.
Commissioned from the artist by Annie Pearson (1860-1932), 1st Viscountess Cowdray, in November 1916, and by descent at Dunecht House, Aberdeenshire, to 2019
Christie’s, The Cowdray Sale: Works of Art from Cowdray Park and Dunecht House, At Cowdray Park, West Sussex, 13th – 15th September 2011, lot. 248
London, International Society of Sculptors, Painters and Gravers, Autumn Exhibition, October 1916, no. 5
Brighton, Art Gallery and London, Tate Gallery, James Pryde: Memorial Exhibition, July - October 1949, no. 31
Bradford, Bradford Art Gallery, Jubilee Exhibition, 1954.
Ottawa, National Gallery of Canada, Three Centuries of Scottish Painting, March - April 1969, no. 45
London, The Fleming Collection, Rascals & Ruins: The Romantic Vision of James Pryde, September 2006, no. 44.